It was still a little too hot here to be turning on the oven more than necessary, so these Chocolate Coconut Bars were the perfect no-bake traybake to make. They are also quite sticky and liable to melting, so are probably best kept in the fridge, which makes them perfect for hot days. Or cold days. Or any day.
And it couldn’t be easier. Melt chocolate. Let it set. Melt butter and condensed milk, add cherries and coconut. Cover with more chocolate!
Well, it could be easier if I hadn’t tried to multi-task melting the butter and condensed milk with starting my online grocery order. Distraction led to burnt bits sticking to the bottom of my saucepan and a redo of the coconut layer. Oops!
This is kind of like a homemade Bounty (or Mounds) bar, although the chocolate is thicker. The cherries are optional, and they add a nice pop of color but I won’t be offended if you leave them out!
8oz/225g dark chocolate
8oz/225g desiccated coconut
4 tbsp icing sugar/powdered sugar
7oz/200g condensed milk (half a can)
a few glacé cherries, chopped (optional)
- Line a tin (I used an 8″x8″ tin) with parchment paper.
- Melt half the chocolate and spread over the base of the tin. Leave to cool.
- Melt the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a heavy saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the coconut and cherries, if using. Spread over the chocolate base.
- When cool, cover with remaining melted chocolate. Leave to set.
Pin It For Later!