Mars Bar Buns are great but have you tried adding caramel to make Mars Bar Krispie Caramel Squares? Because everything is better with caramel. Or is that sprinkles? Anyway, this no-bake traybake takes a regular Mars Bar Traybake and adds a layer of caramel between the Rice Krispie layer and the chocolate topping, which ends up making it taste more like a Mars Bar. Everyone’s a winner!
Or more like a Milky Way, if like me, you’re in the US. Yes, almost 14 years living in the US and it still feels strange to be using a Milky Way bar when I need a Mars Bar for these Mars Bar Rice Krispie Caramel Squares.
A nice straightforward no-bake recipe. Take your time when you’re melting the Mars Bars for the base layer. The butter will melt, the chocolate will melt, the syrup will incorporate nicely and you’ll be left staring at blobs of unmelted nougat. But stick with it, keep stirring and it will all eventually turn into a wonderful, chocolatey sauce to coat the Rice Krispies.
Take your time with the caramel too. Use a gentle heat, stir it frequently and don’t let it catch on the bottom of the saucepan or you’ll end up with burnt bits in your caramel. And nobody wants that.
The recipe needs four regular sized Mars Bars. And I could only get fun size ones. But as long as you have about 200g (approx. 7 oz) of Mars Bar it doesn’t really matter what size they are.
Mars Bar Krispie Caramel Squares
- 4 regular sized Mars Bars (approx. 200g/7oz) (or Milky Way if you're in the US)
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 oz or 85g butter
- 4 oz or 110g Rice Krispies/puffed rice cereal
- 4 oz or 110g butter
- 3 oz or 85g dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 7 oz or 200g condensed milk (half a can)
- 8 oz or 225g chocolate, to cover
- Cut the Mars Bars into slices and place in a saucepan with the butter and syrup. Melt over a low heat until you have a uniform, chocolatey sauce.
- Mix the Mars Bar sauce into the Rice Krispies and press into a lined 8 inch/20cm square tin.
- Next, place the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk into a saucepan and melt over a gentle heat until simmering, stirring frequently. Simmer for about 5 minutes (keep stirring!) then pour over the base. Put it in the fridge to set.
- Melt the chocolate and pour over the caramel. Leave to set and then cut into slices and enjoy!