Warning: this Marshmallow Fridge Traybake is very sweet, very gooey and very delicious! It’s got a digestive and coconut biscuit base that is topped with caramel and marshmallow and delivers a serious sugar rush.
It’s another no-bake traybake and although it takes a bit of time to cook the caramel layer, it’s pretty easy to put together. And very quick to disappear in our house. It’s also a useful recipe to have as it uses up the remainder of a tin of condensed milk that you may have opened for another recipe.
Second warning: this is really sticky to work with, especially when you get to the marshmallow swirl, so my advice is to work quickly and be prepared to get melted marshmallow stuck to places other than the caramel layer.
2oz/55g granulated sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
8oz/225g digestive biscuits (graham crackers), crushed
3oz/85g desiccated coconut
4oz/110g light brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup (or use honey or maple syrup)
4 tbsp condensed milk
- Place the butter and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted.
- Add the beaten egg, vanilla, biscuit crumbs and coconut and mix well.
- Press into a lined tin (I used my 8″/20cm square tin) and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, until firm.
- Meanwhile, place the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk for the topping into a saucepan.
- Heat gently until the butter has melted, then bring to a boil and simmer for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Melt the marshmallows, either in short bursts in a microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Pour the caramel over the biscuit base, then drizzle (OK, maybe more of a drop than a drizzle, it is super sticky!) the melted marshmallows over the top. Pull a skewer through the topping to create a swirled pattern.
- Leave to set, then slice into squares and enjoy!
Pin It For Later!