Amazingly, my little blog is now over a year old! Belated Birthday Greetings to the blog and a huge thank you to everyone out there who has liked, read, commented and (most importantly) baked this past year. To celebrate, here’s another classic traybake – the No-Bake Mint Aero Traybake!
Living in the US means that we often miss things from home. Family and friends – obviously – but also food. Maybe it’s just because of living where we do near Boston or maybe there are UK and Irish imported goods everywhere in the US, but we can get hold of many of the (mostly snack) items that, every now and again, we want to eat.
(If you’re interested, that’s Cadbury’s Golden Crisp for me, Fruit Pastilles and Twiglets for Mr Traybakes and Little Miss Traybakes is happy with just about anything, although she is partial to Dolly Mixtures and Tayto Onion Rings!)
And then there is the Aero bar. Not only can I get these in my make-a-special-trip-for-it convenience store, where I get Tayto crisps and wheaten bread flour, but I can also get them in my local US supermarket in the ‘International’ food aisle. Which means that making this Mint Aero Traybake is very easy (although perhaps a little more expensive than it would be back home).
And this is yet another easy traybake. No baking involved. Just some melting and crushing and chopping and mixing. I topped mine with white chocolate for a contrast with the base, but milk or dark chocolate would work just as well here, if that’s what you prefer.
The resulting traybake is minty and sweet and has a soft base with just a little crunch from the larger biscuit chunks.
And if you want to see how I make this, you can watch the video on my YouTube channel here.
No-Bake Mint Aero Traybake
- 4 mint Aero bars (mine were 36g each)
- 7 oz or 200g condensed milk (half of a regular can)
- 4 oz or 110g butter
- 4 tbsp drinking chocolate or cocoa powder
- 8 oz or 225g Digestives/Graham Crackers, crushed
- 8 oz or 225g white chocolate, to cover
- Line a 20cm/8inch square tin with baking parchment.
- Place the butter, drinking chocolate, condensed milk and 1 of the Aero bars in a a small saucepan and melt over a gentle heat. Leave to cool a little, so it doesn’t melt the chocolate at the next stage.
- Crush the biscuits, trying to leave a few larger lumps for texture. Chop 2 of the Aero bars into small pieces.
- Pour the cooled buttery, chocolatey mixture over the biscuits and chopped Aero and mix well. Press into your traybake tin and set aside or refrigerate until set.
- Melt the white chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of simmering water and then spread over the base. Top with the final, chopped, Aero bar.
- Leave to set, cut into squares, and enjoy!