Sydney Specials (or possibly Sidney Specials, there are some discrepancies in the spelling) tick a lot of the classic traybake boxes. Coconut? Check! Cornflakes? Check! Chocolate? Check!
This traybake is very simple and quick to make. Just mix the dry ingredients and add melted butter. Then bake and top with chocolate icing. It would only be simpler if it were no-bake. But there’s flour in this and as my flour packet keeps telling me, you shouldn’t eat raw flour (hasn’t stopped me licking the bowl when I bake a cake though…)
These Sydney Specials can be a little crumbly, but they are crunchy and delicious and, I think, the only reason these lasted more than one day in our house is because Little Miss Traybakes stood guard at the cookie tin and wouldn’t let us eat too many at once!
4oz/110g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
3oz/85g desiccated coconut
2oz/55g cornflakes, crushed
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. Melt the butter and mix with the dry ingredients.
- Spread into a lined tin (I used an 8″/20cm square tin) and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Top with chocolate glacé icing or melted chocolate. For the glacé icing, mix 6oz/175g icing sugar with 1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder, then gradually add a little hot water until you have a thick, spreadable topping.
- Spread topping over base while still slightly warm. Leave to cool, then slice into squares and enjoy!
Pin It For Later!