Crunchy Topped Squares
A really easy traybake. Sponge cake base, topped with a crunchy oat, cherry, and coconut layer. Crunchy Topped Squares.
- 4 oz or 110g butter
- 4 oz or 110g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz or 110g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 oz or 85g butter
- 2 oz or 55g demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup (or use honey/maple syrup)
- 2 oz or 55g glacé cherries, chopped
- 3 oz or 85g dessicated coconut
- 3 oz or 85g rolled oats
Preheat oven to 350F/175C and line an 8inch/20cm square tin with baking parchment.
To make the topping: place the butter and sugar in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat. Take it off the heat and stir in the cherries, syrup, coconut and oats.
To make the cake: cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs gradually. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together and fold into the mixture.
Spread the cake mixture over the base of the tin. Then spread the topping evenly over the base.
Bake for around 35 minutes or until golden on top.
Leave to cool in the tin before slicing into squares. Enjoy!