This Brandy Alexander Traybake is one for the grown-ups. I don’t have a lot of recipes with alcohol in them – my Iced Christmas Pudding perhaps being the only other one, so far – but now that I think about it, cocktail based traybakes could be the next big thing! But for now, this Brandy Alexander Traybake will be the beginning.
It’s a simple shortbread base with a very creamy, slightly boozy topping, flavored with brandy and chocolate liqueur. The topping sets well enough that the slices hold their shape, but it’s still soft and not at all rubbery! And the crumbled Flake bar on top is suitably retro. I was able to get hold of a couple of Flakes at my local Indian grocery store which saved a longer trip to the British/Irish import store, but if you can’t get one, then some chocolate shavings would work just as well.
A fairly straightforward recipe, although it does require you to sit and wait for it to set before you can eat it! And obviously needs both brandy and Crème de Cacao. No taste test notes from Little Miss Traybakes for this one, for obvious reasons, but Mr Traybakes is a big fan of this Brandy Alexander Traybake.
6oz/175g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
4oz/110g unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
4oz/110g white marshmallows
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp brandy
2 tbsp crème de cacao
2 tbsp water
0.5 tsp gelatin powder
10 fl oz/300ml cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line a 20cm/8 inch square tin with baking parchment
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then beat in the egg.
- Mix in the sifted flour and press into a lined traybake tin.
- Prick with a fork and bake at 350F/180C for 15-120 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- In a double boiler (bowl over a pan of simmering water), melt the marshmallows and milk, stirring regularly. Remove from the heat once melted.
- Add the brandy and crème de cacao and mix well. Leave to cool.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the measured water (2 tbsp) and add to the marshmallow mix.
- Whip the cream and then gently fold the mallow mixture into the cream.
- Spread over the shortbread base and refrigerate for about 24 hours or until set.
- Decorate with a crumbled Flake bar or chocolate shavings, cut into squares and enjoy!