I’ve been busy updating old blog posts and shooting video for my YouTube channel and, as a result, I haven’t brought you a new recipe in a long time. However, today, I have something new for you. These are Cornflake Caramel Squares. And the name says it all, really. This traybake is very similar to traditional Caramel Squares (check out my recipe here) with the addition of cornflakes and desiccated coconut.
Now, the base for these Cornflake Caramel Squares is incredibly easy. After weighing out your dry ingredients and crushing the cornflakes, mix them all together with some melted butter, press into your tin and bake. Simple as that.
The caramel layer can be a little tricky. But, if you take it slowly and keep it on a gentle heat and stir it frequently, then you will get there. It can take about 15 minutes to get the caramel to thicken sufficiently, but stick with it and don’t walk away from it and your reward will be delicious caramel. It will also thicken more as it cools, so it will still be runny and pourable when it’s ready to cover the base.
And then the final layer is just some melted chocolate. Dark or milk chocolate, whichever you prefer. You could even add a little drizzle of white chocolate over the final layer as a decorative touch. Or keep it plain.
Just be sure to let the base cool slightly before topping with caramel. And also to let the caramel firm up before you add the melted chocolate. Then leave it to set and cut into Cornflake Caramel Squares.
Cornflake Caramel Squares
- 4 oz or 110g cornflakes, crushed
- 4 oz or 110g plain flour
- 4 oz or 110g sugar
- 2 oz or 55g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 oz or 125g butter, melted
- 4 oz or 110g butter
- 4 oz or 110g sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- ½ tin condensed milk approx. 7fl oz or 200g
- 6 oz or 175g chocolate (to cover)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C (conventional oven). Line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment.
- Place all the dry ingredients for the base into a bowl. Pour over the melted butter and mix well. Press into tin and bake for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly.
- To make the caramel, place the butter, sugar, condensed milk and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring frequently, until the caramel becomes thick and golden.
- Pour the caramel over the base and leave to cool.
- Cover with melted chocolate and when set, cut into squares.