I recently made Rice Krispie Treats with Little Miss Traybakes using the recipe we found on the cereal box. But they weren’t quite the same as the ones I remember Mummy Traybakes making when I was younger. Then I remembered that we made the traybake from my childhood with Highland Toffee to give it extra chewiness. So, when I found a recipe for Toffee Rice Krispie Treats in one of my retro recipe books, I knew I had to try to recreate that memory.
Unfortunately, they don’t sell Highland Toffee here in the US. I’m not even sure they still sell it back home. And even plain toffee seems hard to find over here. I did find some chocolate covered toffees and while I’m sure that would make a delicious traybake, I was aiming for the classic here. So, I used hard caramel candies (Werther’s Originals, to be precise) and they worked well.
This was another recipe with a vague ingredient list. It called for “1 small packet of Rice Krispies”. Is that one of those mini variety packs or the smallest size of the normal packets?! It also just said “2 bars of toffee”. Now, your idea of a bar of toffee may well be much larger than mine, how am I supposed to know?!
Using some educated guesswork, I arrived at a recipe that worked for me. Hold on, no guesswork. I’m an experienced traybake baker, so I obviously was able to work out the appropriate quantities for the recipe!
And this is another very sticky one, so you definitely want to either line your tin or grease it thoroughly. I used my 8″/20cm traybake tin and lined it with baking parchment.
To crush the toffees, I put them into a freezer bag and bashed at it with a rolling pin.
The toffee will try to weld itself to the bottom of your pan, so keep stirring. It will also try to clump together. But stick with it, it takes a bit of time for the last of the toffee to melt and be incorporated but it gets there in the end. You will also want to make sure you soak the saucepan quickly as the toffee mix will stick to it as well!
Warning: these Toffee Rice Krispie Treats will stick to your teeth. Your dentist will not appreciate this traybake!
Toffee Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 oz or 110g Rice Krispies
- 4 oz or 110g butter
- 4 oz or 110g toffee (I used Werther's Originals)
- 4 oz or 110g marshmallows
- Line an 8"/20cm square tin with baking parchment.
- Break the toffee into small pieces, place in a large saucepan with the butter and marshmallows and melt over a low heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies until they are all well coated in the sticky, sticky mixture.
- Press into your tin and set aside or place in the fridge to cool. Then get your saucepan into the sink to soak asap!
- Cut into (sticky) squares and have flashbacks to your childhood birthday parties! Or maybe that's just me…