These Shortbread Krispies join the ranks of the many traybakes that either have a shortbread base or are made with Rice Krispies. (If you’re looking for a classic Northern Irish traybake made with Rice Krispies, then the Mars Bar Traybake would be a good place to start!)
It’s a straightforward, classic shortbread base topped with a classic chocolate Rice Krispie treat. I was a little concerned that the two layers wouldn’t actually stick together, but they do! That doesn’t stop Little Miss Traybakes from dissecting the traybake into separate layers, but her food quirks are her own business!
Soft, crumbly shortbread topped with a crispy, crunchy, chocolatey Rice Krispie layer. It’s like two traybakes for the price of one!
6oz/175g plain/all-purpose flour
4oz/110g butter, softened
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp golden syrup (or honey/maple syrup)
2oz/55g Rice Krispies
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line an 8″/20cm square tin with parchment paper.
- Make the shortbread layer by creaming the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the egg yolk.
- Sift the flour and fold into the mixture, then spread over the base of the tin.
- Prick the shortbread a few times with a fork, then bake for 15-20 minutes. Let the shortbread cool for a short while before you add the top layer.
- To make the topping, melt the butter, chocolate and syrup in a small saucepan over a gentle heat.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix well, then spread on top of the shortbread base.
- Leave to cool, then cut into squares and enjoy!
Pin It For Later!