Chocolate and orange is one of those classic flavor combinations and not one that I have featured often on the blog (apart from this Chocolate Orange Slice). I also have a few other biscuit recipes, including the classic Traditional All-Butter Shortbread and Gipsy Creams. And now these Chocolate Orange Sandwich Biscuits. Now, these were originally called ChocoOrange Snips in my old recipe book. But I took the liberty of changing the name to something more descriptive.
You start with a basic cookie dough, then divide it in two. Half of the mixture becomes the chocolate biscuits. And half becomes the orange biscuits. With the addition of a few additional ingredients. Then you simply sandwich them together with orange buttercream.
You can use drinking chocolate or cocoa powder for the chocolate biscuits. I used cocoa to get a stronger chocolate taste. But go with whatever you have and whatever suits you best.
This cookie dough is a little soft, so you will need some flour on your worktop to help when rolling out the orange dough. I’d suggest using cocoa powder to roll out the chocolate biscuits, so they don’t get covered in white flour.
You don’t need to refrigerate the dough for these Chocolate Orange Sandwich Biscuits before baking, as the biscuits don’t spread much while they’re in the oven. But if you want to make the dough in advance, then it will sit quite happily in the fridge for a while and will probably make it easier to roll out too.
I used a 58mm/2.25in cookie cutter for these. It makes a relatively small biscuit, but as you are getting two of them and some buttercream, I felt this was a good size.
As always, if you make your biscuits larger (or smaller) than I did, then adjust your baking timings accordingly.
Chocolate Orange Sandwich Biscuits
- 4 oz or 110g butter, softened
- 2 oz or 55g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 1 egg
- 6 oz or 175g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- pinch of salt
- 1 oz or 25g rice flour
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 oz or 25g drinking chocolate or cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 oz or 110g icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 oz or 55g butter, softened
- 1 tsp orange zest
- splash of orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, then stir in the flour and pinch of salt.
- Divide the mixture in two.
- To one half, add the rice flour and orange zest.
- To the other half, add the cocoa and cinnamon.
- Roll each dough out and cut into rounds. I used a 58mm cutter and got 14 biscuits from each portion of dough.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together with the orange zest and splash of orange juice. When the biscuits are cold, sandwich one of each biscuit together with the buttercream.