S’mores Traybake. Perhaps not as much fun as sitting round a campfire and toasting marshmallows. But these bars contain all the main ingredients in a S’more. All nicely parceled up in a convenient traybake. And they taste great.
Living in the US, we have been introduced to S’mores and they have been a firm favorite in our house ever since. Especially with Little Miss Traybakes. For anyone who doesn’t know what a S’more is, it’s essentially a sandwich made of Graham Crackers (which are more or less like Digestive biscuits) with a piece of chocolate and a toasted marshmallow inbetween. Then you attempt to eat it without getting too much sticky marshmallow all over your face and hands (or is that just Little Miss Traybakes?!)
S’mores have such a simple list of ingredients, and ingredients that are all found in many traditional traybake recipes. So, I thought they would be perfect to translate into traybake form.
Warning: these are very sticky and gooey, especially if you don’t keep them in the fridge, but they are also much better that way.
You can make these with whatever chocolate you prefer. I’ve made these with dark and milk and with a combination of both dark and milk. You know your preferences and these taste great with either type of chocolate.
I used mini marshmallows for my S’mores Traybake because I like the way it looks. But, it is time consuming to place the marshmallows on top of the chocolate. Or at least, it’s time consuming if you want to line them up in neat rows. This traybake also works if you just scatter the marshmallows over the top and then fill in any gaps afterwards!
When it comes to toasting the marshmallow, I used my grill/broiler, keeping the tin on the middle shelf of my oven. You need to keep a close eye on this because when it starts to brown, it can scorch quite quickly. I find it also helps to turn the tin around regularly to ensure an even color.
- 8 oz or 225g Digestives/Graham Crackers, crushed
- 4 oz or 110g butter, melted
- 8 oz or 225g chocolate (milk or dark), chopped
- 4 fl oz or 120ml cream
- 4 oz or 110g mini marshmallows (approx.)
- Line an 8inch/20cm tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the butter and mix together with the finely crushed Graham Crackers or Digestives. Press down firmly into your traybake tin.
- Place the tin in the fridge (or even the freezer) for about 30 minutes to start to set.
- To make the chocolate ganache layer, chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl. Heat the cream slowly in a small saucepan until almost boiling. Then pour the cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth and all the chocolate has melted. Pour the chocolate mixture over the base and spread to the edges.
- While the chocolate is still soft, place the mini marshmallows in a single layer over the top, trying to cover as much of the chocolate as possible
- Place in the fridge for an hour or two to let the chocolate set. Then toast the marshmallows under a hot grill/broiler for 1-2 minutes until puffy and golden. Watch this closely because they do brown quickly.
- At this stage the marshmallows are toasty and crispy, but if you leave the traybake for a few hours, the marshmallows become soft and gooey and sticky. And the chocolate becomes soft and gooey. Cut into bars and enjoy!