These Coconut Squares are kind of like the baked equivalent of the no-bake Chocolate Coconut Bars from a couple of weeks ago. Very similar ingredients, although with a little less chocolate and a few more sultanas.
Make sure you line your traybake tin for this one. I have to think that it would be tricky to remove from the tin if you didn’t. And also make sure that the traybake has cooled completely and the chocolate has set again – best to put it in the fridge – before you try to cut it.
As with any recipe, if sultanas aren’t your favorite (or cherries) then feel free to leave them out of these Coconut Squares or substitute with something you’d prefer. Although the combination of dried fruit, coconut and chocolate is another one of those classic Northern Irish traybake ingredient lists, so stick with the recipe if you want to keep things traditional!
4oz/110g desiccated coconut
2oz/55g sultanas (golden raisins)
2oz/55g glacé cherries (candied cherries)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Line a 20cm/8 inch square tin with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate and spread over the base of the tin. Set aside to harden (or put in the fridge to set).
- Cream the butter and sugar. Then beat in the egg. Add the coconut, sultanas and cherries and mix well.
- Spread over the chocolate base. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top.
- Cool until the chocolate sets again, then cut into squares.
Pin It For Later!