Sometimes I wonder if many of these traybakes are just people taking the main ingredients in Fifteens and using them just a little bit differently, like in this Marshmallow Crunch Traybake. You have digestive biscuits, coconut, cherries and marshmallows, plus a few other standard baking ingredients.
Now, although this is called Marshmallow Crunch, it’s not actually all that crunchy. The base is a little crisp and the topping is sticky and gooey. Maybe, if you use a different sort of toffee it might come out a little crunchier, but whatever the case, it’s sticky and gooey and crisp and delicious! And not dissimilar to my Marshmallow Fudge Traybake, which is more caramel with a bit of marshmallow, rather than marshmallow with a bit of caramel – see, there are a lot of similar themes running through these recipes!
It’s all fairly straightforward to make too. The recipe calls for ‘soft toffees’ like Toffo. But my research seems to suggest that Toffos were discontinued some years ago, so that wasn’t going to work. I used Werther’s Chewy Caramels in my recipe, and anything like that will work here.
When you’re melting the butter and toffee together, they don’t really mix, so don’t worry if they’re separate. Once you add the marshmallows, it all comes together nicely into a sticky topping, that isn’t crazy difficult to spread over the base. Not totally easy either, but it gets there in the end!
2oz/55g brown sugar
10oz/280g digestive biscuits or graham crackers, crushed
2oz/55g dessicated coconut
2oz/55g glacé cherries/candied cherries, quartered
1 tbsp golden syrup or honey
2oz/55g soft toffees or caramels
8oz/225g marshmallows, quartered
- Line a 20cm/8 inch tin with baking parchment.
- Put the butter, syrup and sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat until the butter has melted.
- Stir in the crushed digestive biscuit crumbs along with the coconut and chopped cherries.
- Press into the tin and set aside.
- Place the toffees and butter in a double boiler (bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water). Heat gently until melted.
- Mix in the chopped marshmallows and spread over the base.
- Put into the fridge for a couple of hours to set.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!