Coconut features heavily in traybake recipes. Glacé cherries feature heavily in traybake recipes. And this recipe for Coconut Biscuits has both of those. If you’re looking for more recipes that contain lots of coconut and cherries, then I’d also recommend my Coconut Squares or my Chocolate Coconut Bars.
These Coconut Biscuits are simple and easy to make. And when baked they had a nice crunch and weren’t too sweet. And I seem to prefer my desserts and sweet treats to not be overly sweet.
This is such a straightforward recipe, but, as usual, I have a little baking advice for you.
Don’t forget to take your butter out of the fridge an hour or so before you plan to bake. Softened butter just makes the creaming butter and sugar stage so much easier. And a little forward planning means you don’t have to wait even longer to get your biscuits out of the oven.
These Coconut Biscuits don’t spread much as they bake, so the shape you make before they go in the oven is (more or less) the shape and size you get when they come out. I like to use a scoop so I can get fairly uniform sized biscuits. My scoop is 1.5 tbsp and using it, I can get 12-13 biscuits from this recipe. I also sometimes use a cookie cutter to tidy up the edges of the biscuit, but that might be a step too far for some.
And, as usual, if you are not a fan of the glacé cherry, then I won’t be offended if you leave them off. If that is the case, then I’d probably also suggest drizzling these biscuits with chocolate after they have cooled.
- 2 oz or 55g sugar
- 4 oz or 110g butter softened
- 4 oz or 110g coconut
- 4 oz or 110g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- glacé cherries to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F/160C (conventional oven).
- Using an electric whisk, cream the softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the coconut and flour.
- Shape into small balls and flatten into a biscuit shape. Top with a piece of cherry and place on a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Bake for at 325F/160C for arounds 12 minutes or until golden. The bake time will depend on the size of the cookies etc etc. Mine were about 6cm/2½ inches across and they cooked in about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.