Ginger has been a popular flavor running through my bakes since I started the blog. And as it’s always proved a winner with Little Miss Traybakes, when I saw this Ginger Slice Traybake recipe, I had to give it a go. For other gingery bakes try Date and Ginger Crunchies, Ginger Shortcake or even Ginger Cake. See, I told you ginger is popular in traybakes (and cake, and cookies…!)
This one turned out to be pretty tasty but I’m rather glad the topping was thick enough to cover the base as it was quite soft and moved around a little as it baked. It certainly wasn’t the prettiest looking bake after it was taken out of the oven! If you have the time or the inclination, you could pop the base into the fridge for 30-60 minutes before you bake it and this may make it look more even, but as you’re covering it up with the topping, I’m not sure this is really a necessary step.
Yet again, it’s another straightforward bake. The resulting traybakes are on the thinner side, but as the topping is quite sweet, I didn’t find this to be a problem and this Ginger Slice Traybake works well as a little crunchy, sticky bite.
6oz/170g/1½ sticks butter
6oz/170g/1½ cups plain flour (all-purpose flour)
1 tsp baking powder
3oz/85g/½ cup sugar
1 tsp ground ginger (a generous teaspoon, if you like it gingery!)
2oz/55g/½ stick butter
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup (or use maple syrup or honey)
1 tsp ground ginger
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Sieve the flour, baking powder and ginger together and beat into the butter/sugar mix.
2. Press into a tin (I used my 8″/20cm square tin) and bake at 350F/180C for 25-30 minutes. Warning – this is tricky to spread easily as it’s quite a soft dough.
3. While the base is baking, heat together the topping ingredients until melted.
4. Remove the cooked base from the oven and while it is still warm, pour over the warm sugary topping.
5. When set, cut into squares. If you keep it in the fridge the topping is nice and chewy. For a softer topping, just keep it out of the fridge. Either option is delicious!
Pin It For Later!